Sunday, November 14, 2010

Final Vegetable Plot Harvest - more beets!

After raking and shredding the leaves in the front yard, I bagged them up to take to the compost heap at the vegetable plot. We've started a new pile and this will make a great base. After dumping the leaves, I stepped  into the garden for the last time this year with a harvest bag.

Back home, let's see what we have. It looks like a big tangled mess!




However, a short time later I have a nice batch of baby beets ready to roast, and a big bag of beet greens, which are delicious!


So that is almost that for the year, but I still have lettuce in the hoop house. It'll be fun to see how long I can keep it growing.


Until next time, Keep Digging & Eat Well.

The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

5 comments:

  1. Why do most people throw away the leaves of their beets, then make a special effort to grow Swiss Chard??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Mark! The flavor and cooking technique is the similar for both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up, we never ate the beet greens, my mother didn't like them but she made some good pickled beets. If I could get some to grow now, I would never throw away the greens but I live in the South now and all greens are eaten here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely beets harvest! I hope that your lettuce will survive in hoop house and provide you with few nice salad bowls this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vrtlarica, Thank you! Sadly at -14C nothing survives the hoop house.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...