Saturday, March 26, 2011

Making room for growth

Last weekend I took apart the old garden bed, effectively making two. The thing is, my plans include 2 more 4x8 beds. With this in mind, there is not much room to manuever. Leave it to the Dear Wife to suggest removing the second stair case.

I hemmed, I hawed. I succumbed.

Some pictures are little messed up because I had the white balance set for inside.  I tried to correct for it. Sorry for that.

The stairs that have been there since we built the deck in 2001.




















A little crowbar, hammer, and drill gun action and they are out.



















A gaping hole, kinda like losing a front tooth!



















I patched it up a bit, it still needs the top railing but you can see the two beds better arranged. I'm thinking one more 4x8 box for this year.






















I still need to take the side railings off the stairs, we'll likely use the stairs themselves to set containers on.

While I feel pretty good about getting a jump start on this, there is still plenty of cleanup to do in the other beds, but I am ahead of schedule.

Until next time, Keep Digging & Eat Well!

The Gastronomic Gardener
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

7 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading/following your page.Please keep it coming. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs decking when you can have raised beds for veg-growing?
    Will you be using the wood from the stairs to make the new raised bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, I agree, in fact I'm giving thought to changing over some of the flower beds. but I'll wait till next year to see how much production we get out these beds.

    I won't be using this wood, as the only scrap will be the railings and balusters. From the pictures I've already repurposed some of the balusters to close the gap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea to reuse the stairs as a plant stand!

    I always like reading posts about new planting areas being created, and yours is rare in that you actually had to dismantle some hardscape in order to do it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will add this blog to my favorites, it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Anonymous, that is very kind of you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...