Sunday, April 3, 2011

Square Foot Garden frame construction

I've been trying to get to the bed frames made for about two weeks now. Weather and obligations have prohibited me from getting this done. Today they were calling for rain (it's sunny right now) so I got up early and started working on them again.

The old frames have a 4x4 in each corner.




















Well I don't want to lose precious space so they had to come out. The issue was the screws had stripped and I ended up having to cut them off. This was a major pain in the neck but finally got it done.

I used Steel "L" brackets to re-assemble them.





















Then I built two more boxes - 2x8 using the same technique.




















The Student (my dear wife) helped me carry them to their approximate positions.





















As you can see I still need to move the stairs, but that will wait.

I have 88 square feet for my first square foot garden attempt.  Hopefully it is a managable size.

Next steps are level the garden,  put down the weedblock cloth, mix and fill the boxes and plant.

Then it's on to the SIPs and revisit the remote veggie plot.

And since I was out, here are a few shots of thisngs growing.

More Iris.




















...and some tiny lupine.





















Until next time, Keep Digging & Eat Well!


The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

9 comments:

  1. Space is such a valuable commodity for those of us who garden in city or urban areas. Removing the posts and using the L brackets is such a great idea for recapturing space in the beds. Can't wait to see the stairs covered with potted plants. That is such a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn! It will be interesting how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, you just KNOW how much I approve of those beds - and the angle-bracket method for securing them!!
    I can't wait to see them filled with masses of veg... You should be able to get a lot of produce from them if you use the Square Foot Gardening technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say... maybe you shouldn't remove the stairs, but use them as multi-tiered shelving for holding your trays of seedlings? The staggered arrangement would mean that each tray would get the full amount of light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what they say about imitation Mark! I'm keeping the stairs as planter risers. I just need to move them out of the middle of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have surely used your space well...very nice raised beds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some serious garden frames going there! It will be fun to see your progress throughout the growing season. I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you PlantPostings! I am glad you stopped by! I still need to get the frames filled - hopefully this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...