Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday Harvest 15 lbs of goodness

I suppose it is the IT  manager in me that wants to measure, to compare, to categorize. Maybe some day I  will be able to be a bit more mellow about it and roll smoothly with good and bad instead of hyper-analyzing what is happening. But as it is only the second year, I think it'll have to wait.

Tonight was a good harvest. The tomatoes are coming in fast. Sadly the Dark Prince seem prone to splitting, while the Celebrity are not so much. There has been some BER in the Romas but it has not been terrible. The romas are clearly determinate, they are coming all at once. Sauce or salsa is in the immediate future.

By the way tonight had 5# 11.4 oz of tomatoes from the SFG, and 5#6oz from the Growboxes. They continue neck and neck.

Anyway, here is the bounty.


Until next time, Keep Digging & Eat Well!

The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener
email: thegastronomicgardener at gmail dot com

5 comments:

  1. That's quite a haul! I don't have enough sun to get that much produce, so I'm terribly jealous! But we'll get a CSA box later this week and I'm sure it will be filled with great veggies, including locally grown tomatoes. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes mature much more rapidly than mine. I suppose that is because of our "temperate" climate. Tomatoes need sun to ripen, and that has been in short supply here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fine harvest. I'm envious of your large tomatoes. STILL waiting for those......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm assuming dark prince is the same or similar to the black prince variety I grew last year. They were a nice uniform round a little bigger than golf balls with a really nice flavor, but MAN did they ever crack like mad. We had a couple volunteer this year and I can't help but think how great they would look without all that dark cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PlantPostings and Mark This little garden gets lots of sun, and it has been very hot with quite a bit of moisture. All these seem to lead to rapid tomato growth.

    I hope the big ones arrive Sue! Some are nearly a pound each!

    Nikki, Sounds about right these are very sweet, just cracking like mad. I attributed that to the rain patterns but maybe it is intrinsic to the fruit?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...