Saturday, June 4, 2011

Of Peonies and Clematis

It's going to be another hot one. I took a turn through the garden with the camera and a cup of coffee to see what was on the agenda for the day.

There is one major bed that I will get to and clean out today, and then it's ongoing maintenance time.

I'll report on veggie garden progress tomorrow.

For now, enjoy the spectacle that is the Peonies and Clematis. The Peony hedge was one of the reasons I bought this house. They must be 30+ years old. These Clematis I planted just 2 years ago.

The scent of the peonies is lovely.





















And the Clematis...







































The little white blossoms are from the black locust tree. It also lends its fragrance to the still summer air. They are a mess to clean out of the rain gutters!


Until next time, Keep Digging & Eat Well!


The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

3 comments:

  1. Those peonies look amazing, especially en masse. To keep something like that going for 30-odd years is a pretty fine achievement. Do you have to dig them out and re-plant them occasionally to maintain their vigour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can take almost no credit other than cleaning out the beds and providing support. They have been like this for 11 years for me. As you said in your post about veggies Mark, Neglect seems to work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I have a Clematis that looks just like that, only mine isn't blooming yet. It used to be by the patio, but the dogs used it as a bed one year. I thought they'd killed it, but I dug up the roots and moved them out by the vegetable garden. They survived, giving me three small clumps growing up the fence posts. This, their second year in that location, they are looking quite healthy. Now I want to move them! They just look all wrong there since I changed my garden beds from N/S to E/W. I think I'll cut them back to about 6-8 inches and dig them up. I won't expect them to blossom, just survive!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...